Job Description: Children’s Summer Program Assistant
Reports To: Youth Program Coordinator
The Full Time positions require a two month commitment from June-July, 9am-5pm Monday – Friday.
The Part Time position require a two month commitment from June-July, 9am-2pm Monday – Friday.
The Children’s Summer Program Assistant is responsible for assisting the Coordinator in the implementation of activities for at-risk children who are residing in shelter due to domestic violence in their homes. The children participating in the Julian Center Summer Program are ages 6-16 years. All of the children involved in the Summer Program are at risk or have been abused or neglected, which sometimes results in emotional and behavioral issues.
Primary Responsibilities Include Assisting the Coordinator with the following:
- Develop, coordinate, facilitate and maintain appropriate activities for children participating in the summer program
- Facilitate mediation of conflict situations between children
- Report pertinent information regarding children’s daily progress, behaviors, and other concerns to appropriate staff
- Promote and improve mother/child interactions, along with observation and assessment of the child’s psychological, sociological and intellectual abilities
- Maintain attendance records and document activities in accordance with The Julian Center’s policies/procedures and HIPAA regulations
- Safely transport children to and from activities in The Julian Center’s mini bus.
- Complete other tasks as assigned
- Associates Degree, preferably in education, child development or related field
- Experience working directly with children
- Ability to work independently and with a multi-disciplinary team
- Commitment to non-violent and cooperative working environment
- Commitment to providing quality and equitable services to all clients regardless of race, gender, religion, age or sexual orientation
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work within a fast-paced, high change environment
- A valid driver’s license and clean Motor Vehicle Report