Thrifty Threads will re-open on Monday, May 18. Hours will be Monday through Saturday, 11:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.
Thrifty Threads is a thrift store and donation center owned and operated by the Julian Center. Your gently used clothes, home goods and furniture can help survivors and benefit the Julian Center.
When someone makes a decision to leave an abusive relationship they don’t always have a lot of time to plan, or pack. That means they leave most of their personal belongings behind. When they arrive at our shelter doors the clothes they have on may be everything they have in the world. 91 percent of our clients live at, or below, the federal poverty threshold so replacing items isn’t possible.
That’s where Thrifty Threads comes in. We accept donations of gently used clothing for men, women and children along with household goods including linens, furniture, books, toys, and small appliances.
Our clients shop at Thrifty Threads free-of-charge for items needed to recover and to establish new beginnings. In some cases that might be clothing, furniture, or shoes and toys for their children. Excess items are sold to the public where proceeds help underwrite our victim programs and services. Your in-kind donations allow our clients to start over and to live a life free of abuse. We’re a proud partner with National Council of Jewish Women.
While we appreciate the offer of all donations there are certain things we can and cannot take at the donation center and at the shelter. Below is a list of items. THANK YOU!
What Can We Take:
- Women’s, men’s & children’s clothing
- hats, gloves, mittens & scarves
- purses, jewelry belts and accessories
- books, media, games
- CDs, records, DVDs & VHS tapes
- home décor
- bed linens
- framed art
- small appliances
What We Cannot Take:
- All products recalled by the CPSC, U.S. CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION: 1-800-638-2772 or www.CPSC.GOV, www.SaferProduct.GOV
- No used car seats
- No cribs (manufactured before June 2011), bassinets, infant walkers, highchairs, bunkbeds, bath seats, bed rails, play yards, toy chests: THAT DOES NOT MEET THE CURRENT SAFETY STANDARDS
- No household chemicals: pesticides, paint products, drain & oven cleaners and any environmentally-unfriendly waste products
- No automotive waste: batteries, antifreeze, tires, oil, additives, parts, etc.
- No large appliances: refrigerators, freezers, washer & dryer, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, water heaters, trash compactor, stoves & ovens
- No building or plumbing materials
- No carpet or carpet padding
- No weapons
- No mattress or box springs, waterbeds
- No sofa beds, reclining sofas or loveseats
- No CRT, video projector DLP, or rear projection TVs
- No large fitness equipment
- No broken or in-need-of-repair furniture
- No used personal care products
- No computer equipment: hard drive-tower, keyboard, mouse, monitor etc.
- No toys with magnets, painted wood, small parts, stuffed animals
- No Halogen torchiere floor lamps, bean bag chairs, bowling balls
Monday – Saturday, 10AM – 5PM
You may request a free pick-up of furniture you wish to donate. To schedule a pick-up please contact us at 317.802.9612 at least two weeks in advance.